Fire disaster brings human goodness to the fore at Muswellbrook

THE good that comes out of a disaster often shocks people, possibly more than the disaster itself.

So it was for Muswellbrook’s Chloe Winner, the day after Mother’s Day, when at about 7am a fire started in her three-year-old son’s room.

GRATEFUL: Maddie Watson (right) with best friend Chloe Winner and Chloe’s children, Olivia, 7, Isaac, 3, Macey, 4, and Hallie, 5, all grateful for the help and donations after a housefire.

GRATEFUL: Maddie Watson (right) with best friend Chloe Winner and Chloe’s children, Olivia, 7, Isaac, 3, Macey, 4, and Hallie, 5, all grateful for the help and donations after a housefire.

Ms Winner blames a battery-operated Tonka fire and rescue truck, which she says caught fire and burnt a circle in the floor of her rented house on Tarakan Avenue, ruining everything in the house with heavy smoke damage and black soot.

Her best friend Maddie Watson, also of Muswellbrook, said Ms Winner had “just got back on her feet” and over the past seven months had bought all new furniture and toys for the kids.

At a loss, Mrs Watson posted on Facebook, appealing for help for her best friend.

“Within minutes I had likes, comments and inboxes,” Mrs Watson said gratefully.

“I couldn’t help financially or with clothes because my kids are smaller, but that day people started bringing clothes and items to my house, it was overwhelming.

“There were brand new kitchen and bathroom items, it was amazing, Chloe was overwhelmed with the generosity, she was still in shock but extremely appreciative.”

Ms Winner said it took a couple of weeks but she has been leased another house through Compass Housing.

“Muswellbrook South Public School community did a lot for us,” Ms Winner said.

“I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone for helping me.”    

“Yes,” added Mrs Watson.

“Thanks to everyone for helping my best friend get back on her feet.”

BURNT: The place where the fire started.

BURNT: The place where the fire started.