Ingredients for 4
- 4 x 300g rainbow trout, scaled, gilled and gutted
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 75g butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 oranges, zested and juiced
- Steamed new potatoes, to serve
- Season fish well with salt and pepper. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add fish and fry for 4-5 minutes per side, until flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove and keep warm.
- Melt remaining butter in the pan. Add nuts and cook until golden, 1-2 minutes. Add spring onions, maple syrup, soy sauce, orange juice and three-quarters of the orange zest. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens slightly.
- Pour over fish, garnish with remaining orange zest and serve with steamed new potatoes.
- Notes: It is important to use pure maple syrup for this dish. There are many ‘maple-flavoured’ syrups on the market, these are largely artificially-flavoured corn syrup. Genuine maple syrup comes from North America and tastes far superior; it is available from delicatessens and specialty food stores.
- Alternative species: Salmon fillets or 2 small whole coral trout or parrotfish.