FIRE crews worked to save a home on Wednesday night, as temperatures dropped to -1.3 degrees Celsius in parts of the Hunter.
Emergency services were called to a blaze at Muswellbrook just after midnight.
When Fire and Rescue NSW crews arrived, they found a shed well alight and were concerned the fire could spread to nearby properties.
The Muswellbrook firies managed extinguish the blaze without it spreading further, however the shed and the contents inside were destroyed.
While on scene, the firefighters noted the cold temperatures, as the mercury plummeted to below zero.