Fire and Rescue NSW Station 392 Muswellbrook issues timely warning, in regards to smoke alarms, following Campbell's Corner evacuation

FIRE and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Muswellbrook personnel have issued a timely warning to local businesses and residents to ensure their smoke alarms are in working condition.

Firefighters from the 392 station attended a call-out after 1pm on Tuesday, which saw employees evacuated from within the Campbell's Corner complex on Bridge Street.

While there was no immediate danger to anyone, it served as a reminder for everyone to be vigilant.

"On this occasion, the smoke detector went off straight away," retained firefighter Justin Melia said.

"It's a simple message but fire alarms save lives.

"So, make sure your home [or business] has a working smoke alarm and prepare an escape plan and practice it regularly."

Meanwhile, FRNSW announced its Safety Visits program in Singleton on Monday, with the aim of improving fire safety in 1000 higher risk homes in the local area and 60,000 across NSW.

FRNSW Commissioner Paul Baxter said the fire prevention and education initiative would see firefighters visit homes to deliver critical fire safety advice and install working smoke alarms where they're needed most.

"Winter is the worst time of year for home fires, with more occurring in bedrooms and lounge rooms due to heaters, electric blankets and other electrical devices," he explained.

"Our firefighters have already responded to more than 450 residential fires this winter, including a number of deadly fires, and we don't want these numbers to continue climbing.

"The Safety Visits program draws on historical data about where fires occur and the reasons why, so we can target areas with an increased fire risk across NSW and help prevent fires from occurring.

"Like the whole community, our firefighters were deeply affected by last month's tragic house fire in Singleton.

"We want to show our support for these local firefighters and help them prevent similar tragedies in the future."

Some other simple steps the community can take to prevent a fire at home include:

* Never leave cooking unattended and always Keep Looking When Cooking.;

* Keep everything - furnishing, curtains, clothing - one metre away from the heater;

* Do not overload power boards with these extra winter appliances - such as heaters, electric blankets and dryers;

* Ensure flues and chimneys are regularly cleaned;

* Turn off electric blankets at night; and

* Do not use outdoor heating and cooking equipment inside the home.

For more information about the Safety Visits program, visit www.fire.nsw.gov.au or contact your local FRNSW station.