The Morrison government has ruled out extracting Australian women and children from refugee camps during a brief ceasefire in Syria.
Kamalle Dabboussy, whose daughter and grandchildren are trapped in northeastern Syria, has urged Australia to seize the opportunity during a five-day halt to hostilities.
"It's given us some short-term stability," he told AAP on Friday.
"It's a must that the Australians are made safe."
Charity group Save the Children has written to every member of federal parliament, imploring them to evacuate the Australian citizens.
The group says it has received advice from Kurdish authorities that should they receive a request from the Australian government, the women and children will be transferred from Syrian camps to border towns.
"No one is disputing that there may be serious questions for the adults to answer when they return," Save the Children said.
"Irrespective of the actions of their parents, none of these children deserve to be abandoned. The situation in northeast Syria is only going to get worse and action must be taken right now, before it is too late."
But Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said it was still far too dangerous to send Australian troops or diplomats into the war-torn nation.
"The advice is consistent to us, and that is, that there's not an opportunity, given the danger there at the moment," he told reporters in Canberra.
"We've been able to bring back some orphans, as you know, but we're not in a position where we're able to go into those camps."
Many of the women say they were duped into going to Syria by their IS-aligned husbands but Mr Dutton says some of them are "hardcore" and pose a serious security threat to Australia.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison also pushed back against calls to evacuate the stranded Australians.
"It is still an incredibly dangerous place," Mr Morrison told 2GB radio.
"The suggestion that Australians should be sent in to get people out of there ... is a suggestion that really doesn't comprehend the real risks that are there.
"It's a very dangerous place and I think there's a concerning naivety about the real situation on the ground there."
Mr Dutton blames the parents of the 46 Australian children in al-Hawl for dragging them into a theatre of war.
"But we have been very clear - we're not going to put Australian defence, foreign affairs, or home affairs personnel, or other agencies' staff, at risk," he said.
Labor has previously argued the government has a moral obligation to rescue the Australians.
But Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese chose his words carefully when asked about extracting the children on Friday.
"I'm not privy to the national security briefings ... so I'm not in a position to say whether people can be removed safely," he told reporters in Melbourne.
"It's up to the government to explain the position, certainly with regard to the children who are Australian citizens who are there, who have done nothing wrong."
Foreign Minister Marise Payne urged all parties to the Syrian conflict to make the halt in fighting permanent.
"At this early point, the full implications of the conditions of the deal have yet to be understood," she told AAP.
"Australia's highest priorities are to stop a resurgence of Daesh (Islamic State) and to focus on avoiding a humanitarian crisis.
"We will be deeply concerned at any indications of deliberate demographic changes to the population of the conflict zone."
Australian Associated Press