In a second blow for Canberra's classic and street car enthusiasts, the March event scheduled as a downscaled version of the annual Summernats festival has been cancelled.
Summernats co-owner Andy Lopez made the reluctant decision on Wednesday evening, saying it was due "to the recent COVID outbreak and continuing uncertainty around borders".
The Summernats Rev Rock 'n' Roll had been scheduled for March 5-7.
"We've done this both out of respect for the health and wellbeing of the ACT community and also our interstate patrons and commercial partners," Mr Lopez said.
"Rev Rock 'n' Roll would've seen a huge influx of interstate travellers - mainly from Sydney - and we don't want to put that sort of pressure on ACT health services or risk staging an event where a majority of entrants can't come."
Summernats, which is the longest running and one of the largest car festivals held in Australia, was cancelled for the first time this year due to COVID-19-related issues and restrictions.
The organisers managed to stage an event last weekend at Eastern Creek's Sydney Dragway, but with crowds reduced by 75 per cent and everyone wearing masks.
Mr Lopez said entries and tickets to Summernats 34, scheduled for January 6-9, 2022, will go back on sale next week.
"With more than 1700 entrants and thousands of fans already locked in for the triumphant return of Australia's favourite horsepower party, the team is getting ready for what will be the biggest Summernats in history," the statement from the organisers said.