Jamie Cust, accused of murdering Jesus Bebita in Scone in 2018, has case adjourned again in Tamworth court

Bail refused: Jamie Cust has been in custody on one charge of murder since his arrest in the Upper Hunter in December 2018. Photo: Facebook

Bail refused: Jamie Cust has been in custody on one charge of murder since his arrest in the Upper Hunter in December 2018. Photo: Facebook

A MAN charged with murder in 2018 is still more than a month away from having his case moved to the Supreme Court after it was adjourned again in Tamworth.

Jamie Cust has been behind bars for 20 months now, accused of killing Jesus Bebita in Scone in December 2018.

He's yet to enter a plea to the charge and Legal Aid solicitor Rae Parker told Tamworth Local Court on Wednesday both sides needed more time.

"I'm advised it's an application for an adjournment from both parties for four or six weeks," she told the court.

Magistrate Julie Soars queried the papers, noting Cust, who did not appear in court for his case, had been in custody the entire time for a "serious charge".

"It is beyond 12 months," she said.

But, the Crown and defence have another month to discuss the case after the adjournment was granted for five weeks.

"Hopefully it will proceed on the next occasion," Ms Soars said, pointing to the charge papers.

"First mention 19 December 2018."

"Absolutely," Ms Parker replied.

Ms Parker made no application for bail and it was formally refused.

Cust was arrested shortly after, when he presented to Muswellbrook Police Station.

It's understood he suffered traumatic injuries, and the pair were known to each other after working together at JBS Australia in Scone.

Victim: Jesus Bebita. Photo: GoFundMe

Victim: Jesus Bebita. Photo: GoFundMe

In November last year, Cust's Legal Aid defence lawyer Wendy McAuliffe argued against a lengthy adjournment in Tamworth court.

At the time she said two sections of the law stated charge certification "should occur within six months", noting her client had already been in custody for 11 months.

During the court hearing, the magistrate was told Cust could be immediately indicted on the same charge by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), if the case was thrown out in the local court.

The court has previously heard the case against Cust is "complex" and the brief of evidence spanned 14 volumes, which "requires a great deal of analysis", the prosecution said.

This story Murder charge adjourned first appeared on The Scone Advocate.